It’s Friday before July 4th. Rebecca is here from London! So here are some good things floating around my lovely life:
- We got kittens! Two cuties named Cosmo and Izzy. Izzy (above, left) is our little girl, and Cosmo (above, right) is our shy guy. They are very fun and we’re having a blast watching people (read: Becca and Ana’s) reactions to these fur balls.
- As I mentioned above, Becca is here and she’s staying with us – lucky people we are! I’ve missed her so I am glad to have her settling in for a long stay and can’t wait to celebrate the Fourth with her.
- My first podcast with Traci is up! It’s called “That’s Our Jam” and we talk about everything from holidays to hot dogs to history. It has been a super fun project to work on and I’m glad to finally share it with you guys.
- Three Day Weekend! Patio furniture is coming this weekend to lounge on for the holiday. And we have a new grill. How lucky are we? I can’t wait for hot dogs & watermelon salad & blended margs.
- My garden is coming along nicely, and we might have spaghetti squash by the end of the season if we’re good to the plants. What a great summer this already has been.
Happy July, kids!
1. My mom comes to town tomorrow, and my dad is already here! Super-fun weekend, bring it on.
2. No time for after-parent sadness, because on Monday they head back to Chicago and I head to NYC to see my sorella and co. for HAMILTON.
3. While in NYC, we’re going to play tourist – here I come, Lady Liberty! I can’t wait to do something in NYC that makes me feel like I’m 14 again, and maybe I’ll even by an I (HEART) NY shirt on a street corner for $3. I’m a wild woman!
4. Our first pizza night in our new house tomorrow night. This would be number 2, but see number 2, and you get me.
5. I’m sorry, have you seen 2? Also, Lin Manuel Miranda. Also, Angelina/Eliza/And Peggy. The list goes on…in fact, soon I’ll have my Hamilton playlist available for you. You’re welcome.
1. Matt Nathanson’s “Show Me Your Fangs” album.
2. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Specifically, the audiobook version with all it’s nuanced voices and accents.
3. Hamilton in 3 weeks. (I cannot even allow myself to think about this.) (But I can’t stop.)
4. Yoga tonight for the first time in almost two weeks.
5. My husband, which, though cheesy, is really the number 1 on this list. Keeping me sane over weeks and weeks of busy lives with a cool, even attitude and knowing what I need at every turn.
Happy end-of-Monday, y’all.
the first day after you cut your nails short where suddenly typing isn’t annoying anymore
that moment you get out of the shower when you’re cold for maybe the first and only time of the day
the first sip of any cocktail
that moment before you open the mailbox, when you think that maybe there is a handwritten note in there from someone, a little magical box teeming with possibilities
the slice through the avocado when you realize it’s perfectly ripe
the feeling of your skin on grass or tree bark or nature in general
the smell of coffee coming from the kitchen
seeing the ocean and greeting it like the old friend it is
1. headed to big bear this weekend to breathe fresh air and ski. cannot wait for open spaces.
2. next week is march, which means a new month and peas are in season. guys, i love peas and want pea soup and pea pasta and pea everything.
3. cooper the dog. she is our neighbor’s dog and she hangs out with us in her free time, which is a lot. she currently is walking around my room sniffing everything and probably wondering where jeff is.
4. new hat and gloves and headband for this weekend from melissa, because she’s an american hero.
5. i got a new planner. i don’t care that it’s nearly march. it was 50 percent off and it’s for all the to-do lists i try to keep in my head that tumble to the ether on the drive home.
have a fab weekend, chicakdees. catch you in march.